Sunday 21 June 2015

"Sweet Childhood Memories; The Bear Cub that I thought was a Dancer!"

Though born and brought-up in Imphal-the capital town and commercial hub of Manipur, our parents made it a point to take us for official visits to our native village as frequent as possible. Such family-trips not only keep us close to our largely-extended family members to this day, but have always gave us fresh adventures and stories to cherish. Apart from the invaluable and interesting stories and folklore of the olden times that we always got to hear from our village elders, the very feeling of being surrounded by the warmth of the closely knitted kinship of the rural community was amazing. Storytelling, bird-watching, trekking, playing- the list of activities that shaped and gave a memorable childhood could go on. Holidays and seasonal breaks from school therefore used to be eagerly awaited in the house.  Recalling those sweet days of innocence, I am grateful to my parents for all the vacations that they had planned for us-with love.


Stopping by at Pallen (Pallel) en-route one of the many trips to our village, my brothers and I were visibly tired but filled with enthusiasm over the thought of spending our summer vacation in the woods around our hillside home again. As we happily follow Mom and Dad to a nearby hotel where we used to stop by and refresh ourselves with cups of tea and baked cookies to fill our tender tummies for the rest of the journey, I could not help but notice this scene which is vividly clear even now. I saw this man in his late thirties or early forties, walking by the paved roadside, his clenched right fist tightly gripped around a long light-weight chain that was attached and wound around the neck of a black, furry little animal that looked like a bear..?..Yes! it was a bear cub! And as it was strutting lazily behind the captor/master, the cool summer breeze blew over the highway and through the little cub’s long shaggy coats making its coat of silky black fur move slowly, back and forth, up and down- that from a distance both the bear and the man looked like they were dancing or walking in an orchestrated manner. Standing in front of the hotel, I stood still and observed carefully, filled with a sense of euphoria at the sight of something that I thought I will only get to read in story books and see only in movies showing circus scenes. Yes, for a moment I was thinking of “Dancing bears” and so I told myself that the bear cub could be one that is raised for the same- I was lost in thoughts.

Watching them slowly walk away from my sight,  I then joined my brothers and parents- had my fill and we soon continued our journey. All along the way, I could not get the chained little bear cub out of my mind- thinking about how it could have got caught, how hard it must be, for the cub to feel the pangs of separation from the pack. As I was endlessly letting my mind flow over the many possible ways the bear’s future would hold, something struck me hard. I remember a time when I overheard elders talking about bear skins, claws, and vital internal organs fetching a fair price in the black market. I could visualize the worst-case scenario for the little bear and my heart aches feeling sorry for the ill-begotten fate that has befallen its life. Feeling helpless, I made it a point to talk to my brothers and parents about the poor little bear, complaining why poor cubs should be ill-treated at all. Deep in my heart, I wished the man with chain who I have begun to hate by now have compassion for the bear cub so they could find a good way for little thing to live on. I comfort myself thinking, “Maybe, the man was trying to take it to the Zoo”…or “Maybe, like I foolishly assumed earlier- the man will tame, train and make the fluffy cub grow into one fabulous dancing-bear”. I smiled vaguely and drift my way to sleep.

PS: Images used here are solely for (promotional) presentation of Michael Morpurgo's " The Dancing Bear" which I find interesting. Pdf extract of the same can be downloaded http://www.michaelmorpurgo.com/images/uploads/book-excerpts/The_Dancing_Bear_extract.pdf 

No comments:

Post a Comment